T4Toolbox.tt Distribution

May 8, 2012 at 4:19 AM

I've ran into a problem where I created a Text Template T4 using T4Toolbox. When I put the source code into source control so that other developer can work on it, they get this error

Loading the include file 'T4Toolbox.tt' returned a null or empty string. The transformation will not be run

This is obvious since they don't have the T4Toolbox installed. So my question is how do I distribute the T4Toolbox.tt file. Should I have everyone install T4Toolbox or is there a way i can share the file / DLL?

Also during deployment do I need to have this file also?

May 8, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Running T4Toolbox*.msi adds entries to the windows registry. These registry entries inform Visual Studio where to find T4Toolbox's DirectiveProcessors. You are getting this error because these registry entries are missing. To solve the problem you can let everyone install the T4Toolbox on their own, or create a script to add the missing registry entries, but either way something needs to get executed on each developer machine for T4Toolbox to run as intended. Obviously, these registry entries are only required to regenerate T4 based source code files within Visual Studio. Your project will otherwise compile and run just fine without installing T4Toolbox.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Can we get a nuget package for it or can I make one and post it on the Nuget Repository?