What happened to T4Toolbox.dll under the Bin folder?

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I had the previous release installed, and noticed when I installed the latest that T4Toolbox.dll is now only deployed in the GAC.  However, it doesn't seem to appear in the "Add Reference" dialog, so I can't add a reference to it.  Do I need to add it via the config or something, instead?

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2009 at 10:16 PM

This is something I may have broken unintentionally when updating the installer for 2010. You should be able to reference it from GAC by name (just like System or System.Core are referenced).

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need to reference the T4Toolbox.dll in a traditional project as opposed to a T4 template?

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Wasn't thinking...  :)  You're right, I just needed to reference it from my T4 file.  Hadn't done so, so having the project reference was the only way to get the generator to run.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:20 AM

oleqsych,

I've been using code generation tools for some time now and the biggest reason I can give you for wanting to put code in a codebehind or .dll is so that a template doesn't become so cluttered. This is something I find that T4 desperately needs. Previously the templates for CodeSmith we're templates only, however, once the codebehind and assembly capabilities were added the readability of the templates became much better and much easier to maintain. The only reason I even became interested in T4 and purchased the Tangible editor was so that I could write templates to generate a proper set of LinqToSql projects directly from VS and use a tool already supported by VS.

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Agreed. This will be fixed in the next release: http://t4toolbox.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=14038.