Problem with .msi File

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:37 AM
There seems to be a problem with the msi installer file. If I run it on my box then a message pops up saying: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor". I am running Win XP Pro SP3 German.

Please advise.
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2008 at 11:37 AM
Edited Oct 5, 2008 at 1:02 PM
The installer runs devenv.exe with /setup switch to rebuild the template item cache for Add New Item dialog. I haven't tested it on a localized version of Windows. Which version of Visual Studio do you have? Could you perform the following steps to troubleshoot?

1. Uninstall T4 Toolbox using Control Panel
  2. Restart you machine
  3. Open Visual Studio command prompt and run the following command: devenv.exe /setup
  4. Open Visual Studio, create a new C# console application project.
  5. Select Project->Add New Item from the main menu
  6. Verify that Add New Item dialog doesn't contain the Code Generation folder.
  7. Close Visual Studio
  8. Install T4 Toolbox from command prompt using the following command line: msiexec /i t4toolbox.msi /lvx* install.log
  9. Open Visual Studio and verify that Add New Item dialog contains the Code Generation folder with items like File, Template, Generator, etc.
  10. If the installer reports the problem again, upload the install.log to this thread.

Thanks,

Oleg

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:27 PM
1. Couldn't uninstall it using the Control Panel because it didn't show up in the list. Uninstalled it with msiexec. It did show an error for not finding the product but it seems that it uninstalled it anyway.
2. - 7. Did that
8. Did that and no error Dialog box showed up. Now I can see an entry for T4 Toolbox in the Control Panel.
9. Did that and the Code Generation folder is there
10. It seems that there is no need to upload the 330KB log file

I am using Visual Studio 2008 Professional English. I take is that it won't work with Visual Studio 2005?

Now that T4Editor RTM is available, doing code generation this way becomes pretty interesting to me.

Thanks a lot for your fast reply,

Detlef
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2008 at 9:15 PM
Detlef,

Currently, T4 toolbox installer supports only Visual Studio 2008. There are no technical reasons not to support Visual Studio 2005 - only the effort required to create, maintain and test the installer and the code. Unfortunately, I don't have time for this, so unless someone volunteers, we will only support version 2008.

Oleg