"There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package"

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:40 PM
I am trying to install oT4 Toolbox on a Windows Vista machine with VS 2008 SP1 installed. The install runs along, but stops with the "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package".

Since I have seen similar preoblems before, I the open a CMD windows with full administrator rights, and execute "msiexec /i t4toolbox.msi", and this time the install goes slightly further.This time I get an error message stating that Visual Studio 2008 has crashed. When I close that dialog, it displays the "There is a problem..." message again, and rollbacks the installation.

You can download my installation log file at: http://bergdahl.it/files/install.log

Please advice!

Regards;
/jb
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Jonny,

Thanks for the log file and extra troubleshooting steps. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this problem as fast as I can. Did you have Visual Studio running at the time you ran the installer? Could you also run the following command line to see if it returns any errors?

devenv.exe /setup

Thanks,
Oleg
Oct 11, 2008 at 7:51 PM
No, Visual studio was not running at install time.

Running "devenv /setup" don't display anything, but Visual Studio crashes. Since T4 Toolbox is not installed, that crash must be unrelated?

Regards;
/jb
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM
Jonny,

I think this is why you are getting an error trying to install t4toolbox.msi. Looking at your log file, I can see that the installer encountered an error when trying to run "devenv /setup" custom action. Perhaps repairing installation of Visual Studio will fix this problem.

Oleg